Position Title: Summer Associate
Dates: Friday, August 4 – Sunday, August 20, 2023
Position Description: Artist Management/Festival Production Associate
Reports To: Operations & Production Manager
Compensation: $1,250 stipend. Most meals and reimbursement for gas mileage provided. Housing with local host provided, if requested.
The Summer Associate provides support for staff and artists leading up to and during the 2023 Portland Chamber Music Festival. A successful candidate will be highly organized and enjoy tackling a wide range of responsibilities as part of a small but supportive and enthusiastic team. Familiarity with and/or passion for the performing arts, especially classical music, as well as an interest in stage management, concert production, and/or operations is a plus.
Throughout the course of the Festival there will be:
21 Resident Artists
5-6 daily rehearsals
1-2 educational collaborations with local music organizations
1 runout performance at a retirement community
Multiple musician dinners, donor gatherings, etc.
All concerts and rehearsals will take place at Hannaford Hall on USM's Portland campus, with the exception of 1 concert during Week 1 at SPACE Gallery.
The full season + programs can be found at www.pcmf.org/2023-season. Under the Artistic Direction of Grammy-nominated violist Melissa Reardon, PCMF’s Resident Artists are internationally renowned chamber musicians from top ensembles and conservatories around the country such as the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra, Chicago Symphony, New York Philharmonic, and Curtis Institute of Music, among many others.
• Arrange and provide transportation for artists during the Festival
• Assist with coordination between artists and housing hosts
• Assist with coordination of meals (continued on next page)
• Oversee the artist break/meal room (make coffee, shop for groceries, clean up, etc.)
• Be on call for general artist needs
• Set up stage for all rehearsals (chairs, stands, etc.)
• Coordinate concert setup, stage changes, and all backstage activities
• Assist with post-concert receptions and cleaning up after concerts
• Provide support for ancillary activities such as donor events, run-out performances at retirement communities, etc.
• Assist with marketing activities such as putting up posters and contacting hotel concierges
• Coordinate writing and mailing thank-you notes to housing and meal hosts
• Participate in daily check-in meetings with Executive Director and Operations Manager, and help with miscellaneous tasks as needed
• Optional: Photography, videography, social media
• Access to a reliable car and valid driver’s license
• Cell phone
• Laptop computer
• A friendly attitude – you will communicate and interact with many new people during the week – artists, volunteers, and audience members
• Professional/moderately dressy clothes for concert nights
• Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
• Ability to work evenings and weekends
• Physical ability to sit/stand for extended periods, lift and move up to 50 pounds
Please email a resume and cover letter to Sam Kyzivat, Operations & Production Manager, at email@example.com. Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions! Materials are due by May 1st at 5:00 PM EDT.